Home »General News » Pakistan » Army’s quick reaction force takes charge in Multan

  • News Desk
  • Feb 20th, 2005
  • Comments Off on Army’s quick reaction force takes charge in Multan
Army's Quick Reaction Force (QRF) on Saturday took charge in sixteen districts of Punjab including Multan. Troops had been ordered to stay alert in all places where sectarian clashes may happen and "preempt any terrorist acts" during the Ashura ceremonies. The commandos deployed in parts of Punjab, Pakistan's largest province, which have been hit by unrest in previous years. Some 2,000 security personnel would also cover Shiite congregations in the Multan, police officer Sikandar Hayat said.

Authorities in Punjab have declared about sixteen places including Jhang, Multan, Faisalabad, Dera Ghazi Khan, Vehari, Khanewal and Bahawalpur as sensitive areas.

"Miscreants trying to disturb peace will be crushed with an iron hand," said the General Officer Commanding Major General Zahid Pervez while inspecting the troops deployed in the city

Video cameras were installed along the route of the processions, he added. Government had chalked out "a foolproof security plan to foil any nefarious designs of anti-social elements".

Police and commandos escorting the processions to ensure peace and security during Ashura, he said and urged religious leaders to maintain sectarian harmony.

Clashes involving Sunni and Shiite militants in Pakistan have claimed thousands of lives over the past several years.

District Nazim Riaz Hussain Qureshi said that law and order situation is well under control and policemen in plain clothes were keeping vigilant eyes on the activities of the suspects. While passengers, participants of Majalis-i-Aza and processions are also being searched with the help of organisers.

Copyright Business Recorder, 2005


the author

Top
Close
Close